Sunday, March 29, 2009

Angie's Half Crazy Half Marathon

One of the best things about running is how much you can learn from it.  Or how much you can choose to ignore it.  Several things I learned during this race.  Number 1 may be TMI so just skip right by it if you don't want to know.

1.  GI problems
Most runners out there know that nutrition is really key.  If you go to the Runner's World website, there was a discussion about embarrassing running moments.  I would say maybe 30% of those are head on into inanimate object type of situations.  But probably 60% are GI problems.  I won't go into details, but they're pretty funny.  So my situation is that my GI system behaves a bit like a petulant child on a road trip.  "Are you sure you don't need to go to the bathroom?"  "NO I don't have to go!!!"  8 miles later...."Mommy I have to go to the bathroom!!!" damn it.  So you pull over and find a decent bathroom.  It must be the pressure or something because now you don't need to go.  So frustrating!

2.  Track the milage on my shoes
By the end of the run, the ball of my left foot was hurting.  I've had these shoes since a month before the marathon, my 21 mile run.  Time for a new pair.

3.  Running on empty!
This one I should know better.  Before the TIR I even made a note about it in the blog if I'm not mistaken.  By mile 7 of Angie's I started to get hungry.  I didn't have any Gu on me.  There were some things available on the course, such as cookies (handed out by Wonder Woman no less), bagels, and pretzels.  But Gu is so good because it's quick.

4.  Water/Electrolytes
This is something I should know too.  Angie's only had drinking water available every other mile.  And I know that running with coconut water works very well for me as an electrolyte.  I have the technology, I should use it.

5.  No matter how cold it is in the morning, you will be too damn hot later!  It was so cold when we woke up, I wore long sleeves.  I don't think I've ever been in a race where I was cold at the end.

So overall, I was disappointed because I was expecting a PR on a fast and flat course.  But, it is a learning experience.  It also made me more aware of how well I did in Austin.

Chip time: 2:50:07
Pace: 12:55

Oh well! Next time.

Now the BF and I look ahead.  We are currently signed up for the Seattle Rock and Roll Marathon on June 27th!  That is going to be exciting, because BF grew up in Seattle and it will be his first full marathon!

Other then that, there is more on my mind:

My best friend (who ran the Disney in 2007 i think?) wants to run San Antonio Rock N Roll the day after her birthday!  We're down.  Not only are we down, but we get an extra medal for running two Rock N Rolls in one year!

Bermuda is my goal for next year.

BF and I will be joining HoustonFit again to train for SARNR and Bermuda.

The TIR.  Again.  Possibly.  As in a team mate from this year and I are putting the deposit down.  So I guess that's a definite.

Lots on the horizon!

No comments: