Monday, May 25, 2009

Last training run for Seattle

Today the BF and I pulled off something I NEVER thought I would do. We got up at 3 30 am to go out and run.

We hit the start around 4:20 am and picked up our run. Last time BF and I discussed how many people we thought we'd see at certain spots on our run. Rice loop, FYI, there were 3 people out (including us). The other was also a runner. Hermann park was a different story, and it was probably something I should have thought about earlier. We saw about 7 or 8 homeless people around the park (and probably many more that I didn't see). Fortunately it was quiet out, and we passed and were allowed to pass in peace and quiet.

From the loops we headed up Dunlavy to West Grey, where we stopped at the 24 hour Walgreens to refuel and use the restroom. We also passed Luke's Locker. We saw a TIR team member. I wish I had remembered that it was Monday doughnut runs with Houston Fit, but I forgot.

From West Grey up to Shepherd, left on Memorial down to the park. We went around the loop and ran into many more Houston Fitters. FYI - don't bet on how many people you'll see at 8 am in Memorial on a Monday holiday. Too many to count. Back down Memorial for another stop and refuel at Starbucks.

From Memorial we took our pretty normal route down Troon, Lazy Lane, Inwood, Riveroaks, and then weaving down towards Buffalo Speedway. Once again I felt pretty crabby towards the end. BF becomes a serious optomist towards the end, which I guess is a good match to keep me sane towards the end.

Next time packing food miht be a good idea. BF ate a muffin at starbucks. I remembered how much I enjoyed eating Fig Newtons during HoustonFit long runs, so maybe next time I'll stash some of those in my belt. I don't remember eating too much in the marathon. Maybe the addrenalin keeps your mind so focus on what you are doing your body doesn't get hungry.

As with the 17 miler, I am walking a lot more then I used to. I am really looking forward to starting HoustonFit runs, thanks to the atmosphere on the runs (although I will not be running with my normal coaches. I'm not even sure they're going to join us when the regular HoustonFit season starts).

I'm not particularly looking forward to Seattle, because I will not have the support group that I had during the Houston Marathon. This will be a challenging race, and I am very glad the time limit is 7 hours. I wish they had better pace groups though! As far as I can tell the pace groups only go up to I think 4 hours. Anyone else aiming for 6 hours??

No comments: