Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Hill Training with HoustonFit

I am very sad to admit that while I was a Houston Fit member last year, I never participated in runs other then Saturday runs, and I only met up with HoustonFit runners a handful of times for runs. In the start of my training, I was more inclined to run in the morning, and HoustonFit met at 6 am, not enough time for me to clean up and head out for work. So I did lots of runs on my own, and a few meeting at 5 am in Memorial.

I also NEVER did hill training. Ever.

Things change though, thankfully. After work the BF and I met with HoustonFit at Jackson Hill and Memorial to do the first installment of a 4 week hill training program. We ran over the pedestrian bridge, and then down the trail to Shepard, where we stopped and discussed. The head coach, Felix, who just happened to be the leader of the 6 hour pace group during my first marathon, had marked out in the grass a course for us to run as many times as we could in 24 minutes. It was like a snake, making ribbons up and down the hills. I made it through my first loop, and then stopped to stretch my super tight calves. It helped, and I got through another half loop before the time was up.

It was definitely very difficult. Which makes me worry a lot about running 26.2 miles of hills in 2.5 weeks. I think I could have done a lot better planning out training. But, the goal i to finish (in time, 7 hours) and I think I'll be able to manage that.

This did drive the BF into a hills kick, and he's determined to do as many hill workouts as possible between now and Seattle.

No comments: